D3D Pixel/Vertex shader discussion (for shader model 2.0+)

Raphael fenix at club-internet.fr
Thu May 4 19:37:15 CDT 2006

On Thursday 04 May 2006 20:26, Jason Green wrote:
> Quite a few of us in #winehackers have been discussing and working on
> pixel and vertex shaders for the last month or so.  However, due to
> time zone differences, we don't always get to participate in the
> discussions, so it's tough to keep track of who's doing what and what
> the real game plan is.  So, I've started a rough draft of our roadmap
> for GLSL implementation here:
>
> http://wiki.winehq.org/DirectX-Shaders
>
> If you've been part of these shader discussions recently or even have
> at least a vague understanding of how this stuff works in wined3d,
> please take a look at that page and make any modifications as you see
> fit.
>
> I plan on working on (and hopefully finishing) the GenerateShader()
> merge mentioned on that page tonight or tomorrow.  With luck, we can
> begin implementing GLSL very soon and supporting the shaders correctly
> on newer DirectX games.

I Jason, i fully agree :)

Only one "technical thing", how you expect to determin if you need GLSL or if
ARB_vertex/ARG_fragment is suffcient ?
  1 - always use GLSL when available, else try ARB compat code ?
  2 - try to use ARB when possible, else switch to GLSL ?
  3 - choose the more performant (heuristic depency of opcodes performances) ?

And why about specifics NV/ATI extensions for shaders ?

Keep the good job,
Raphael