Who is responsible to start up a Wineconsole

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Mon May 8 11:27:41 CDT 2006

Uwe Bonnes wrote:

>     Eric> Uwe Bonnes wrote:
>     >> Hallo,
>     >>
>     >> on XP, Program->Execute->(../system32/)telnet.exe starts up a
>     >> Console.  "wine telnet.exe" on the command line however silently
>     >> terminates, as the call to GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo returns an
>     >> empty LPCONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFO structure.
>     >>
>     >> Shouldn't wine start up some wineconsole in that circumstances as XP
>     >> does?
>     Eric> never guess what windows explorer does in your back...  - the
>     Eric> right test sequence would be from a program where we know how
>     Eric> CreateProcess is called - wine behaves AFAIK as windows: it only
>     Eric> creates a console when it's asked to (either because of a specific
>     Eric> flag in CreateProcess(), or by calling AllocConsole()).
>
> MSDN tells for AllocConsole that Console Application (CUI) are initialized
> with a console (preloaded), unless they are created as a detached process.
but they don't clarify what happens when the parent has no console.
I want to see the test program (CreateProcess with console inheritance,
called from a process without any console, starting a CUI process). I'm
still not sure that it will create the console.

> If I understand the wine loader right, and didn't overlook something in the
> relay log, the initial wine process doesn't start the first process by a
> CreateProcess call. So no chance to fiddle withe the flags.
that's why we use wineconsole...
wine doesn't create any console, wineconsole does...

A+

--
Eric Pouech