Possibly crazy idea to deal with memory layout problems once and for all

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu May 11 08:32:16 CDT 2006

On 5/10/06, Mike McCormack <mike at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> I think win32 and NPTL threads are compatible already.

Golly.

> The issues I see for are reserving the right memory areas, setting up
> the large stack, establishing a connection to the Wine server and
> setting up the segment registers (%fs) so that the thread and process
> structures are correct.
>
> If somebody were to implement this for SoC, then I'd suggest they make a
> small static library to link against projects that want to import
> Windows DLLs using Wine, and then expose LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress
> somehow...

That all sounds pretty doable.

> I don't think this is good for an SoC project, because the changes are
> small, and you'll spend more time arguing with Alexandre about the right
> way to do it than doing actual coding.

The changes may sound small to you, but they're probably a
month's work for a newbie.  The student could then spend the
second month converting some open source project that
currently has a hacked, embedded copy of Wine to use
vanilla wine, maybe.    I think it's perfectly appopriate,
especially if we consider it a proof of concept and not something that
has to be integrated into the Wine tree by end of summer
to be a success.
- Dan