A great way for non programmers to help with Wine - Audio

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Wed May 17 13:53:43 CDT 2006

Sound report:
    Kernel 2.6.16-1.2196_FC6 (Fedora Rawhide)
    Sound driver: snd_intel8x0,
    Sound description from lspci:
       00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a2)
    64 bit Fedora Rawhide system (x86_64)
    Alsa version 1.0.11-3.rc2.2
    Tested against Wine GIT as of today - 5/17/06

Results:
    Tested with ALSA and OSS (driver emulation = off, hardware
acceleration = Emulation).
    OSS failed to detect any sound devices until esd was killed
(sometimes I have 2 copies of esd running for some odd reason).
    ALSA run was continually interrupted (see paused messages). Also, a
few sounds were the wrong pitch (see test failed).
    ALSA crashed after finishing the tests.
    OSS run also had interruption problems.
        It ran until: wave.c:657:Playing 1 second 440Hz tone at  8000x 8x2
                  WAVE_FORMAT_PCM_CALLBACK_THREAD|WAVE_FORMAT_DIRECT
        ...after which no sound was produced, and I killed the test,
since it seemed to have frozen.

Log files attached.