Test results for ddraw patches

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Mon May 29 03:48:20 CDT 2006

Hi,
> My testing reveals that a large number of ddraw games crash with the new
> ddraw patch.  These ran fine with the version from 8th April.
>
> Games that crash on startup
> - Heroes of Might and Magic IV
> - Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete
> - Stronghold
> - Warlords Battlecry
> - Warlords Battlecry II
That's not good :-(
A guess is that they hit the 64 mb video memory limit. Video memory counting
works somehow different in ddraw, and many ddraw games hit the 64 mb limit.

> Age of Empires II crashes when starting a game, and I have attached its
> console output to this message.
> The version of Wine I used to test with was a fresh CVS checked out a few
> hours after the patch announcement, then patched with the new ddraw patch.
> It is available here
> http://www.thehandofagony.com/alex/wine-wd3dp/
I have found a bug in IWineGDISurface_PrivateSetup which caused aoe2 to crash,
I will send a fix for wined3d. If the game crashes in a memcpy in GetDC, then
it's likely that bug. Might cause the other breakages too.