Wine 1.0 Tasks

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue May 30 09:14:07 CDT 2006

On 5/29/06, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> If you look at http://bugs.winehq.org/ you'll see a link on the left hand side
> called "1.0 Tasks", which lists the 1.0 bugs being tracked in bugzilla.
> ... I like the idea of using bugzilla to track our progress to 1.0.
>
> Hmm, maybe. Bugzilla lists have a tendency to come and go though as people
> nominate their bugs

(Hmm, isn't target a privileged field?  It probably should be if it isn't.)

> and as they are fixed.

That's a GOOD thing :-)

> I think it's not quite as satisfying as a mostly static list.

Let's use it for a while, then take a snapshot and use it for our
static list, maybe.

> IMHO we should really nail the window management problems. The WM rewrite
> was supposed to fix our woes with unmanaged windows and fullscreening for
> ever but it hasn't happened yet.

Go ahead and retarget those to 1.0, then, please.

>> It's probably unreasonable to require 1.0 to support .NET
>
>Is it? We already run Java just fine and I am sure Mike M had command line
>.NET apps running a year or two ago. It might be plausible.

I agree that Sun's Java runtime is probably something we should support for 1.0.
But Java isn't "just fine" under Wine; I've run into installers that
fail because they
crash inside Sun's JVM on Wine.  To say we really support Java, though,
probably means figuring out how to run the Mauve regression tests
under wine.  If someone wants to do that, please do!

If someone wants to start putting effort into getting .NET,
or for that matter Mono, up and running, great.  But personally,
I'd be just fine with making .NET support a 1.1 feature.
- Dan