How are we doing?

Hans Leidekker hans at it.vu.nl
Wed May 31 07:57:06 CDT 2006

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 12:43, Kai Blin wrote:

> that the whole process improves code quality. It still is hard in to get
> started. Unfortunately I don't really know how this can be changed.

I think we could focus more on the motivation aspects of becoming a Wine
developer. Yes, you need specific technical skills but you also have to align
with Wine's goals before you are willing to make an enduring effort. And it
apparently also takes courage to invest in Wine, because of what Microsoft
could do to hamper Wine.

So if we can convince more people of the usefulness and legality of Wine we
will attract more skilled developers. For example, we should stress the fact
that Wine is a net gain for open source if it allows a user to switch from
Windows to Linux, even though the program running on Wine is "proprietary
Windows bloatware".

We should even stress that Wine is a *temporary* solution in many scenario's,
Wine is not a threat to a native ports! If Wine brings users to Linux it
actually helps create a user base that in turn justifies the additional
cost of a native port.

At the same time we should think of exciting new possibilities that an open
source implementation of the Windows API brings to the table.

 -Hans