Executing wine over make segfaults.

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Mon Nov 6 01:46:40 CST 2006

> 	This seems to be Wine-related problem (but not neccessary Wine bug) because
> everything else works fine with 2.6.18.1 kernel; I'm not alone who have
> strange problems with Wine under 2.6.18 kernel.

  No, you are not. I've posted a very similar problem with wine & 2.6.18
a couple of weeks ago.
  Just to recall, my experiences with the problem:
  1) Not every windows app causes wine to segfault. There are fairly complex,
     networked apps, which work flawlessly (DC++), other ones, much more
     simple, cause wine to crash, like wine's itself "rundll.exe setupapi.dll"
     when it tries to create a fresh .wine directory. Please see my post to
     wine-devel dated Oct 11, with subject "wine segfaulting" for details.
     There is even a strace snippet.
  2) It crashes almost identically on both i386 and x86_64 architectures, with
     the same applications.
  3) As demonstrated in 1), it does so even in the .wine directory build
     process, which means that no DLL overrides or other user-broken things
     can be involved.
  4) No user/system settings can change this. Tried to increase various
     ulimits, manipulate (disable) exec-shield etc. Just the only solution
     known to me is to boot 2.6.17 or less, which I cannot normally because
     of other features I currently need from 2.6.18.
  5) I'm testing wine on the system it was built on (with 2.6.18). It should
     ensure maximum compatibility with its kernel (I'm using live kernel
     includes for <linux/*> and <asm/*>). However, it works when transferred
     to another system running 2.6.17.
  I'm ready to perform some debugging; however, currently I don't know where
to start.
                  With regards, Pavel Troller