Wine 0.9.25 full of regressions!

Joseph Garvin k04jg02 at kzoo.edu
Sun Nov 12 18:04:54 CST 2006

Aaron Slunt wrote:
>> Wine is still beta software, it has never been officially released,
>> therefore you have to expect these sorts of things.

I think that misses the point. Users expect software to improve between
releases, not totally break. It's pretty obvious that there is no one
checking to make sure common apps work before rolling the release
tarballs. Granted, sometimes it's necessary for parts of wine to be
totally restructured in order to do things correctly and avoiding
regressions in this case is unavoidable, but as far as I'm aware from
lurking on wine-patches there weren't any great restructurings of how
OpenGL worked in 0.9.25. To be honest it doesn't feel like there has
been a significant move towards preventing regressions since 0.9.0,
which I thought was the point of that release, although I may misunderstand.

Why would it be so difficult to have someone to pick a couple of common
apps, like winzip, word, and warcraft3, and make sure they still
function before every release?