Wine 0.9.25 full of regressions!

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 20:02:52 CST 2006

On 11/12/06, Joseph Garvin <k04jg02 at kzoo.edu> wrote:

> Why would it be so difficult to have someone to pick a couple of common
> apps, like winzip, word, and warcraft3, and make sure they still
> function before every release?

Here's a common problem. I tested Warcraft 3 with 0.9.25 from compile,
new wine prefix, game install, patch, start, battle.net all this
weekend and it worked fine. Not everyone receives the same experience.
I'm the maintainer so I do know when it regresses for me and usually I
fix it right then because I can. And I have been able to keep track
the git almost daily so problems with Warcraft 3 have actually
remained minimal (er I would say non-existant ... but). I cannot fix
other problems unless I receive proper reports. I have no idea what
Mirek's problem is and he definately has not reported it the proper
way.

I do know of an open bug where there is a weird packaging/build
problem or nvidia+X.org 7.1 problem that prevents Warcraft 3 from
starting on ubuntu 6.10. So I actually downloaded it installed the
distro on my hard drive, which is why I did the above test with
Warcraft 3. So when I did all that just to research a problem, it
simply worked fine on my install of ubuntu. So I lack enough
information to progress on it. Could this be Mirek's problem --
possibly. Should we have held up 0.9.25 for a rather obscure problem?
Heck no. Even more reason, most people don't test tree snapshots, so
the only way we know of some problems is when we make a release, and
that's probably why we have releases every two weeks; so that Wine
gets widespread testing.

Jesse