Wine 0.9.25 full of regressions! ( for certain applications )

Nick Law nlaw at nildram.co.uk
Mon Nov 13 07:10:50 CST 2006

For what it's worth, World of Warcraft is working well in opengl mode
except for certain hardware... For instance ATI X series seem to have
crashes however I'm not sure if this is widespread or just one or two
users. ON ATI 8500 series & higher cards opengl is working well but ONLY
if you add the registry key that adds DisabledExtensions. The location
of this key changed between .24 & .25. You could try adding this key to
see if that fixes you problems. See
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=5606 for details on how
you add this key. ( These bugs have been reported correctly in bugzilla,
just for the record ) These problems have been there for the last 5 +
revisions so nothing has regressed much for WoW users... in fact more
things were fixed than break for Wow.

Version .25 fixed the flicker problem in World of Warcraft for Nvidia
cards. So for Wow users with Nvidia hardware 0.25 may run better than
0.24... so depending on your perspective wine may be running better then
ever before.

I'd also like to stick up for the developers here, when they make a
change they do it as best they can, but they have to rely upon the users
to report problems, the developers can't possibly test every single app
that uses opengl or D3D every time they make a change, they can maybe
check one or two that they have, what users seem to forget is that they,
the users are the real 'testers' and are part of the development team.
Their job is to test their favorite apps then report back on issues, but
expect the occasional backwards step as wine is still is in constant
development. As Jesse said, that's why it's released every two weeks.

For those that rely upon wine to run their favorite application, then
install your stable version of wine that runs your application somewhere
other than the default installation directory and use that while still
downloading and testing the latest release. Then when the latest wine
breaks you application it doesn't stop you using your favorite app

Nick