Info about nsURI_Release

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Mon Nov 13 14:07:38 CST 2006

Brandon Warhurst wrote:
> I had a question about nsURI_Release.  Is it okay for this function to
> release multiple references at once or is it supposed to release
> references one at a time?
Of course it's not. nsURI is an implementation of nsIURI interface that
is the XPCOM interface and inherits from nsISupports which is very
similar to MS COM IUnknown. So its Release method is very similar to
IUnknown::Release.

> I'm trying to narrow down an application lock-up, and it appears that
> it occurs when mshtml release multiple references at the same time
> (say for example, the last AddRef shows 10, and the next release shows
> 9, then a subsequent release shows 0).
Are you sure it's ref count of the same instance of the object?

> After this the last thing reported (or at least that I was tracing)
> was shdocvw, and it showed:
>
> trace:shdocvw:DllMain 0x60fa0000 0x2 (nil)
> trace:shdocvw:DllMain 0x60fa0000 0x3 (nil)
It doesn't mean it's connected with the bug you try to fix (well, I'm
almost sure it's not).

Jacek