loader: Mark the stack as executable if possible.

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Wed Nov 15 13:53:41 CST 2006

On Wednesday November 15 2006 19:25, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> This is incorrect, even with NX most applications will work. Only those with
> broken PE headers like above will not.

	For me (at least) this is correct. Most of my application crashes. Even
classical games like Unreal Tournament crashes.

On Wednesday November 15 2006 19:20, Peter Beutner wrote:
> > 	What I want to say that Wine must work out-of-the-box in all cases where
> > this is possible - this is what most users expect.
>
> This "sacrifice everything for compatibility"-strategy is imo exactly the
> reason why there are still so many broken applications out there.

	Read carefully. I said "Wine must work out-of-the-box in all cases where this
is possible". I didn't said "Wine must work out-of-the-box, enabling write
access to all hard drives to all programs, don't care about security at all,
etc.". If we can implement something without sacrificing minor security
(which is NX-protection issue for Wine) - good. But if not - workaround is
better than nothing.

> But I wouldn't even argue that much against enabling compatibility mode by
default
> (if it would break the majority of the applications otherwise).
> I was only in favor of making it adjustible at all.

	User must have simple way to choose what he wants. User (especialy newbie)
wants to run his apps and not to tweak registry. I agree with AJ -
implementing configurable pop up is good idea.

> If MS had this protection enabled
> by default there would be more whining users for sure, but also more
> pressure on the vendors to fix their applications.
> But I guess everybody has different priorities, thats why it should be a >
configurable option.

	I agree. Configurable option is great. Especialy if even newbie can use it by
default.