loader: Mark the stack as executable if possible.

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Wed Nov 15 19:30:36 CST 2006

Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Peter Beutner <p.beutner at gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Besides i think it's a bad idea to blindly mark pages executable like this:
>>
>> "hey, we successfully catched an attempted buffer overflow attack, thanks for NX. But lets
>> ignore it and let the code run anyway ..." :p
>
> Well, the next step can be to pop up a message box of some kind, and
> let the user decide whether to proceed or not. It still gives more
> control than blindly making all pages executable from the start...

I think this is a classic case of forcing programmer indecision on the
user.  Most users will not be able to answer such a question properly,
so they'll end up clicking yes anyway.

Microsoft has done the correct thing by not forcing this on the user.
If the question can't be answered automatically, the default should be
what works for everything.

Mike