loader: Mark the stack as executable if possible.

Kevin Koltzau kevin at plop.org
Thu Nov 16 21:43:07 CST 2006

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 3:00 pm, L. Rahyen wrote:
> On Wednesday November 15 2006 19:25, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > In this case we should perhaps try to detect such applications and mark
> > them executable accordingly.
> >
> > (Like... "does any section has exec flag? if not ... make all of them
> > exec")
>
> 	If we implement pop up then this isn't neccessary. Anyway, this isn't
> solution for all cases. Some programs run, open window, but crashes soon
> when they attempt to execute NX-protected areas. Example is Unreal
> Tournament. It runs, I can choose options, player, etc. But if I try to
> start gave it crashes if NX enabled.

Some info on how "Data Execution Prevention" (Microsofts name for NX) works
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

VC8 also supports a flag called /NXCOMPAT which can be used to flag an
executable as compatible with NX. This just adds the DLL characteristic
IMAGE_DLLCHARACTERISTICS_NX_COMPAT to the executable to "opt-in" to DEP