ASN.1 parser

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 02:10:46 CST 2006

On Saturday 18 November 2006 01:12, Juan Lang wrote:
> Hi Kai,
>
> > I'm just looking into implementing Kerberos and Negotiate for SSPI. It
> > seems like I'll need an ASN.1 parser for both of those. I know you have
> > a partial implementation of an ASN.1 DER parser in crypt32, but I think
> > it would be kind of silly to keep two seperate copies. Think it would
> > make sense to create our own asn dll? Or is there any method to find out
> > what functions msasn1.dll provides?
>
> I think you could get Kerberos and Negotiate working quicker just by
> copying code as needed.  No non-MS application I'm aware of uses msasn1
> directly, so Wine wouldn't gain much from a compatible version.  Doing the
> "right" thing could be sort of a hassle for crypt32 too (not that so many
> apps use it right now.)

Ok, never mind then. I'll trust you on that one. :)

> The only thing is how much duplicated code offends you.  I'm trying to
> prevent you from diving into a black hole, like I did with crypt32 when
> what I was really after was SSL ;)

Well, an alternative option for Kerberos and Negotiate would be using GSSAPI,
but I now agree with Dan Kegel on that one, it's a bit too bloated for what
we want to do with it. The api is a bit too different from SSPI to enable
making SPPI a thin wrapper for GSSAPI and implementing our providers as
GSSAPI plugins... It was a nice plan, though ;)

I'll just copy what I need then.
Kai

--
Kai Blin, <kai Dot blin At gmail Dot com>
WorldForge developer    http://www.worldforge.org/