RFC: OpenAL Winmm driver and OpenAL32.dll thunk was Re: OpenAL and DirectSound

Nick Burns adger44 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 21 05:03:30 CST 2006

Attached is my diff/patch for both an openal winmm driver and an
openal32.dll thunk
   I would like to get these into wine -- please comment and stuff...

----Rant follows----
I seem to be making a habit of responding to myself... (this antihistamine
is kicking in)

Sometimes in life you feel retarded -- at least this time I have an excuse
(I am sick)

Anyhow -- I took all sorts of care to make sure that my OpenAL thunk was
CDECL -- I even made sure that my spec file was perfect...
But, I for some reason (unknown to even the person who wrote this code --
me) I used WINAPI (stdcall) in all the actual impl of the OpenAL thunk

This explains why 'WINEDEBUG=relay' worked just fine -- but it failed in odd
ways without the relay.

I fixed that in my thunk -- and all seems well

Tested with
   UT2004Demo (uses openal)
   hello_world.exe (al example code)
   playfile.exe (al example code)
On
   Mac Book Pro running Mac OSX 10.4.8 and tot wine

ut2004 notes -- in System (this can be done in the gui -- uncheck (yes
uncheck -- the gui seems backwards) 'use system driver' under audio)
   mv DefOpenAL32.dll DefOpenAL32.dll_
   UT2004.ini -- change
       [ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
       UseDefaultDriver=False
   then run
       WINEDEBUG=trace+openal wine UT2004.exe

Also I did play ut2004 -- menus and 2 bot matches sounded fine (though the
mouse seems sluggish...)

(not tested in linux)

- Nick