RFC: OpenAL Winmm driver and OpenAL32.dll thunk was Re: OpenALand DirectSound

Nick Burns adger44 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 22 04:54:00 CST 2006

They are backwards compat -- and my thunk is backwards compat too..
(it should compile for openal1.0, 1.1, 1.X -- I have only tested Mac OSX
10.4.8 OpenAL 1.1)

It is NOT efficent to be backwards compatible -- note my impl of AL_1_1,
ALC_1_1, AL_EXTS, ALC_EXTS -- they all check for the existence of their
functions ALL the time -- this is braindead and can be fixed with something
similar to what we use for ogl -- the big func table -- and only update on
context change -- maybe even cache per context function tables...

That being said -- the impls for AL_1_0, ALC_1_0, ALUT (not freealut) -- are
as good as they can be. They are straight shots thru to the api (bouncing
from CDECL(win32) -> ???(host???))

As it is (on this list) it should be correct -- barring oddities between
deprecated ALUT functions...

- Nick