RFC: OpenAL Winmm driver and OpenAL32.dll thunk was Re: OpenALand DirectSound

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Thu Nov 23 14:56:52 CST 2006

Am Mittwoch 22 November 2006 11:44 schrieb Nick Burns:
> Good luck
> And may the Sound be with you...
Ok, after cleaning up the d3d mess in my tree a bit I gave your patch a try:

It applied fine, found AL/al.h after creating configure with autoconf, but
compilation failed in dlls/openal:

openal.o: In function `wine_alutLoadWAVMemory':
/usr/src/wine/dlls/openal32/openal.c:327: undefined reference to
`alutLoadWAVMemory'
openal.o: In function `wine_alutLoadWAVFile':
/usr/src/wine/dlls/openal32/openal.c:327: undefined reference to
`alutLoadWAVFile'
openal.o: In function `wine_alutUnloadWAV':
/usr/src/wine/dlls/openal32/openal.c:326: undefined reference to
`alutUnloadWAV'
openal.o: In function `wine_alutExit':
/usr/src/wine/dlls/openal32/openal.c:326: undefined reference to `alutExit'
openal.o: In function `wine_alutInit':
/usr/src/wine/dlls/openal32/openal.c:326: undefined reference to `alutInit'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
winegcc: gcc failed.

turned out that I needed the freealut package(gentoo). Stangely wine didn't
link against that lib automatically, I had to specify -lalut manually.

Once the thing was compiled it worked perfectly with Jedi Academy :-) . Wine
loaded openal32.dll builtin, and I had sound although I had no sound driver
selected in winecfg, which shows that the whole api rollercoaster is
bypassed. I had to configure the game to use openal first.

The sound appeared strange at first, but after using headphones instead of my
broken notebook speakers it turned out that those were just stereo effects I
never heard before :-) . I also used to wonder what that promiently
marked "EAX Sound" option was that used to crash wine: Apparently exactly
that openal option I enabled first in the config files :-)

/me joins the dark side of the sound

Great job!
Stefan