sfd2ttf

Markus Amsler markus.amsler at oribi.org
Sat Nov 25 16:05:52 CST 2006

theun.wine.mail at planet.nl wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>From the buglist I gather that the fontforge dependency is still an issue.
>
> I've taken a look at the sources and I think a can strip it down to
> about 5 to 10 pages of code without a major rewrite.
>
 > If this is acceptable, I'd be happy to spend my time.

Are you sure?

The problem is TTF generation. There's no library and it's not trivial.
With 5 to 10 pages its impossible to generate a valid, non-empty TTF file.

I tried it once with dropping all unnecesary features (Apple Advanced
Typography, Codpages, ...) and managed to get it down to 500 KB. Without
Code obfuscation or comment dropping my guessed minimum was around 350
KB which would be around 150-200 pages of code. And we agreed that's too
much, so I stopped my efforts.
You can download my latest version from [1]. There was also a sfd2ttf
thread some time ago.

So sfd2ttf is not feasible, and AJ wonn't commit TTF files so I think we
could resolve this bug as WONTFIX.

Markus

[1] http://oribi.org/download/sfd2ttf.tar.gz