[2/8] wined3d: Select the right shader backend when creating the device

Frank Richter frank.richter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 17:40:55 CST 2006

On 27.11.2006 23:53, H. Verbeet wrote:
> Either way, you're not going to be
> using software vertex shaders together with HW pixel shaders, that's
> just silly.

Fun fact: a lot of Intel chips (up to the i945 I believe) have fragment
program silicon but none for vertex programs - reality can be really
silly sometimes.

> - Mixing ARB and GLSL backends is pretty silly as well.

Why? I believe you can e.g. perfectly mix GLSL vertex programs together
with multitexturing setups.

> So imo it just adds complexity to the code without giving much of a
> benefit.

Not really. As Ivan said, VPs and FPs are separate concepts, and
allowing the mixing of types probably leads to a more complete feature
set in the end.

-f.r.