make check_no_exec() work reliable

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Thu Nov 30 11:03:22 CST 2006

Peter Beutner <p.beutner at gmx.net> writes:

> Peter Beutner wrote:
>> Before starting to make this whole noexecute override behaviour configurable,
>> it first must work reliable. In its current form there is no guarantee that
>> the check_no_exec() function is actually called, because any other installed
>> exception handler might decide to handle the exception itself.
>> And as seen by the number of failing applications, this seems to happen
>> quite a lot.
>> This patch therefore makes check_no_exec() to be called before any other
>> exception handler.
>>
>> ---
> Any comments what is wrong with this one?

If the exception is not made visible to the app then there is no point
in having one at all, we might just as well turn off the protection
right away. What really needs to be done is to investigate the Windows
behavior and determine which parts of the app memory should be
protected and which shouldn't, depending on the exe flags etc. and
then replicate that behavior.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org