mscoree: Invoke installed win32 mono runtime or exec mono native for .NET executables

Paul Chitescu paulc at voip.null.ro
Mon Oct 9 10:50:21 CDT 2006

Hans,

Please see answers inline.

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Hans Leidekker wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> > Several alternatives can be provided in Registry, separated by commas. For
> > each an attempt to execute it (spawnvp with OVERLAY flag set). The
> > exception is the keyword MONOEMBED that will try to locate and dynamically
> > load an installed Win32 mono.
>
> I tried your patch with Win32 Mono-1.1.17.2 installed but the MONOEMBED
> option failed for me. I found out this is because mono-1.dll depends on
> a number of other dlls that can't be found in the search path.

I have Mono-1.1.17.1 and it loaded the DLL just fine.

> Maybe you could add the Mono dir to the search path? Or instead hand the
> command line over to mono.exe?

I changed the patch to temporarily change the current directory to Mono's
so that libraries can be loaded from there. Calling mono.exe is a bad idea
but if you want to use it you can put the unix path in registry.

> Getting past that hurdle I get this Mono exception:
>
>  ... System.ArgumentException: FontFamily wasn't found.

Well, mono isn't running all .NET executables, mainly because of lack of
libraries. The Win32 version is better in that it supports more than the
native one.

Does the same application run with mono.exe or with native mono? That
would make it a bug in wine.

>  -Hans

Paul