adding undocumented APIs to public headers

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sun Oct 15 13:01:59 CDT 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, James Hawkins wrote:
[...]
> What is our policy on adding undocumented functions to Wine's public
> headers?  My stance is that we, as an alternative implementation of
> the Win32 API, provide another set of Win32 public headers, like
> Microsoft and cygwin/mingw provide as well.  If our headers contain
> undocumented functions that no other headers have, then we're just
> that much more complete.

Developers who write Windows programs and call undocumented functions
are likely to define a prototype for them straight in their source code.
So adding prototypes for undocumented functions in Wine's public headers
would likely cause such code to fail to compile with Winelib (duplicate
prototypes, small divergences, etc). As such it should be avoided.

              Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware