WineD3D State management - going live(TM)

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Fri Oct 20 03:52:49 CDT 2006

Hi
> > and dlls/wined3d/wined3d_private.h
> > #define MAX_SAMPLERS      16
>
> That's the maximum d3d9 supports, not necessarily what the hardware
> can do. Unsupported samplers would be wasted. Worse, d3d10 will
> support a lot more than 16 samplers.
Right, we would waste 13*8 = 104 bytes per unsupported sampler. How much
samplers does d3d10 support?

If we use run-time dynamic values for the state table then we loose the
ability to access a state with its state number, and we loose the ability to
set up a constant table in the code. We'd have to allocate it at device
creation, fill it there and keep a table per device. I prefer to waste 10 or
20 kb for unsupported textures and samplers for the ability to access the
table with the state number as index and to have it declared constant. If the
memory is needed the operating system can just kick it from the memory in
this case, otherwise it has to be paged out.