comctl32: toolbar: create tooltip window with WS_POPUP style

Oleg Krylov oleg.krylov at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 06:04:00 CDT 2006

On 10/19/06, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
> Oleg Krylov <oleg.krylov at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Toolbar tooltips can sometimes steal focus from application window (I
> > think it's window manager issue, I experience it on
> > Metacity). Creating tooltip control with WS_POPUP style prevents
> > it. Native toolbar control uses same style for toolbar tooltips.
>
> That really shouldn't make any difference, and the tooltips code
> forces the WS_POPUP style anyway.
> --
> Alexandre Julliard
> julliard at winehq.org

Unfortunately it's not true. If tooltip is created without WS_POPUP
style weird things start to happen. I've just made several
experiments.
Everything is fine only if virtual desktop is used.
If windows are managed by WM, then
- in KDE when tooltip is shown it steals focus from application,
tooltip window has WM border, titlebar and appears in taskbar;
- in GNOME tooltip steals focus, and has WM border
This is surely incorrect and even there exists opened bug in bugzilla
#2891. It likely has to do with window hints or something inside
window management code.
This should of course be fixed.

But also I think we should change tooltip control creation in our code
(there are 5 total places, all inside comctl32 code), as it will fix
this at least for wine common controls and it is what native does
(with native comctl32 this problem doesn't appear).