Tracking memory allocation

Jeff L lats at yless4u.com.au
Sat Oct 21 05:19:20 CDT 2006

I am looking at how to track whether memory has been allocated or
freed.  The SCRIPT_STRING_ANALYSIS opaque point in usp10 can be freed in
a number of places.  It seems that Windows handles this by checking a
list of allocated storage as the passed value of a
SCRIPT_STRING_ANALYSIS could be invalid.  An obvious problem is where
SCRIPT_STRING_ANALYSIS pointer is passed or copied to another pointer.
At best one pointer could be NULLed but not both.  I have seen this
behaviour.  It seems that this would not be a unique problem in wine, is
there a standard way to handle memory tracking so that if memory is
freed, at a later time we can check to see if the pointer is still valid?

Jeff Latimer