WineD3D State management - going live(TM)

n0dalus n0dalus+wine at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 23:41:37 CDT 2006

On 10/22/06, Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg231 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Constant is convenient, but if it can't meet all necessary requirements,
> I wouldn't hesitate to drop the idea - never compromise on design in
> favor of C optimizations. Tomorrow's hardware will make any
> non-algorithmic optimizations irrelevant.

While this is true for most things, it shouldn't be applied in all
cases. For things like graphics processing, I would say every bit of
optimization is worth it, even at the expense of a little design
flexibility.

Keep in mind that having everyone in the world constantly upgrading
their hardware because of attitudes like this is not sustainable -- a
far better future would be where a standard computer is cheaper, needs
less power, produces less noise and heat, and just does its job.

n0dalus.