WineD3D State management - going live(TM)

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg231 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 17:57:13 CDT 2006

> device->addDirtyState(This, States[State]->representative)
>
> This way the code applying the states has to be called only once.

What does addDirtyState() do when called multiple times with the same
representative?

> This is still a bunch of code, not a magic instruction how to call gl
> directly. To apply a state to gl
>
> States[State]->func(State, stateblock);

How would I mark vertex shader constant #3653 dirty, and apply it using
your mechanism ?
> I think you agree that the state grouping is a bit inflexible. For example,
> the vertex declaration affects the fog settings. This way it would be
> consequent to group them. However, as other things depend on the vertex decl
> this will get a way to big group. The bigger the groups are the more likely
> it is that one of the states is changed, so this will eat performance.

I think you're mixing dirtification of states with mapping which
function applies those states, and I don't fully understand how this is
going to work yet...

> Sampler states and bound textures are more difficult, as they are per-texture
> settings in gl and per device settings in d3d.
That doesn't sound entirely correct - there are per-texture-unit
settings in GL, and per-sampler settings in d3d. I thought we had to map
the samplers to GL texture units.

 > There is no point in putting  them into the main state list, instead
there should be a dirty list per supported sampler.

Again, it seems to me that two different concepts are being mixed
together - I certainly don't want to be typing the function to apply per
sampler, when there should be one entry in a table somewhere, with the
sampler passed as an argument. Dirtification is another topic, which I
don't think you can solve with a list anyway.
> I hope that explained the whole plan a bit better than my last mail :-)

Sure, but I'm still confused :)