Font issue - workaround found

Timm timmr at atlanticbb.net
Sun Sep 3 07:05:39 CDT 2006

My one win app that makes me a devotee of WINE is TablEdit
(demo at www.tabledit.com/download/tabled32.exe)
has a custom font , tef260.ttf, that has failed to display since
somewhere after ver 9.6. The program installs the font into
c:\windows\font, but can not display it within the program, instead
displaying for the most part, empty squares.

I tried putting/removing tef260.ttf into /usr/local/share/wine/fonts,
/usr/local/share/fonts, and the wine windows/fonts directories in all
permutations. The only way I got it to display was to remove ALL fonts
from these three directories and install tef260.ttf into an X11 font
directory along with other win ttf fonts. This forces WINE to build a
cachedmetrics file like it used to, and the font is displayed properly
in the program.

Hope this is a clue for some developer, as I merely lurk here, looking
for clues about wine behavior. I can't do a regression back to ver 9.6
(the version I was using that last worked) because my upgrades to
freetype cause it to complain of missing functions.

current  (pertinent ? ) specs
libfreetype.so.6.3.7            ]       built from source
libfontconfig.so.1.0.4          ]       built from source
fontforge 20060715              ]       built from source
WINE 0.9.20                     ]       built from source
kernel 2.6.17.11
Slack current (10.2, with upgrades from "current" tree)

--
Timm