LPGL functions in Reactos that are stub in Wine

Tom Wickline twickline at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 05:15:09 CDT 2006

On 9/3/06, Mike McCormack <mike at codeweavers.com> wrote:

> Code that originates in ReactOS will generally not be accepted into Wine
> due to that project's acceptance of developers that participate in
> "dirty" reverse engineering (ie. translating assembly code to C).

??

>From : http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/dev_legalreview.html

Reverse engineering. Many non-free software packages have a specific
clause in their licenses to prohibit reverse engineering. It is the
opinion of the ReactOS Project that these license restrictions are
only valid to the extent that they prohibit intentional conversion of
object code to corresponding source code and subsequently claiming
ownership of that source code. Reverse engineering, a form of which
happens every time a developer traces into an operating system's core
code with a debugger to find a problem with his/her code, is held to
be covered by Fair Use. Any source code produced by direct reverse
engineering should be treated in exactly the same way as any other
non-free source code - useful for study and understanding of the
system, but not permitted for inclusion in ReactOS.

--

Looks to me like reverse engineered code is "not permitted for
inclusion in ReactOS" so how is it there participating in "dirty"