WGL patches cause problems with RBR and LFS

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Wed Sep 6 12:42:03 CDT 2006

> hiho
>
> i am currently running Mike's (?) mmbranch git version of wine and
> beside some games are working without problems (or at least no new
> problems) Richard Burns Rally and Live For Speed quit instantly with the
> more or less same message, that there are no valid display modes
> available.
>
> using git-bisect i can at least tell, that before Rodericks WGL patches
> everything was ok - then came at least one patch that broke compilation
> for me and at some pointer later it does compile but no longer work (so
> its hard to pinpoint the exact patch, that cause the regression).
>
> would someone - preferably Roderick - point me in a direction, what
> traces are needed to look into this? beside that for both games there
> are demos out there. i am running the games in desktop mode (non desktop
> does helps nothing); LFS with UseGLSL and RBR not.

The past few weeks I have submitted various WGL patches. The first set of patches (which are in 0.9.20) improved Wine's pixel format advertising. The patches limited the number of supported pixel formats. This was needed because most formats advertised by Wine in fact weren't supported (they caused BadMatch errors and other issues). I think these patches broke the games you mentioned. Could you try 0.9.20 first?

The WGL patches which are in mike's tree are different ones. They move the WGL-specific opengl code from opengl32.dll to x11drv. The code itself isn't changed.

So first try if the problems appeared on 0.9.20 and then we will see further.

Roderick