[svrapi 2/2] realizes 3 functions of svrapi.dll

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 12:12:55 CDT 2006

On 9/8/06, Frank Richter <frank.richter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hm, but wouldn't "didn't look at MSDN" also include "rewording"? To
> reword something, you need to look at the original, after all. So in the
> strictest interpretation, it looks to me that only "clean-room docs"
> (infer the documentation by looking at the source code) would be
> acceptable.

As far as I understand US and Internation Copyright law the interface cannot
be copywritten so it would be permissable to look at the documentation
when learning how to implement the function and then closing your browser
and writting the documentation from memory. At least thats how it was
explained to me at the first wineconf. Its a stretch I know but there is
nothing legally that I can tell that prevents the developer from reading the
API documentation and later writting his own documentation. IANAL so take
that with a grain of salt. Perhaps the standard should be that the same
developer that writes the API cannot document it. Julliards point of view
seems to be when you write the interface your free to look at MSDN however
don't write the API docs at the same time. Go back later, look at what you
have done and base your documentation on your own work.

--
Steven Edwards

"There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world, and that is
an idea whose time has come." - Victor Hugo