Making people aware about appdb and outdated Wine versions.

killertux killertux killertux at suomi24.fi
Sun Sep 10 13:58:43 CDT 2006

Hello, I have problem...

It's know as dublication of effort. Basicly there are sites that
"compeate" with appdb it
means HOWTOS, test result and everyting else are distributed in few
thousands forums, wikis etc...

Solution is that Wine should advertice Wine AppDB so people would
actully use it rather than
unoffical sites. So I would like to see some AppDB "adverticement" in
winecfg.

Winecfg about section is one good place to inform wonders of appdb but
even better would
be popup window when starting winecfg(at lest in first run) that
informs about appdb.
Normal users obtain copy of Wine trought their package manager and
that means they
do not know about appdb unless they they read it somewhere.

This change must be done in order to kill useless stuff like this:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-496836.html

Second: Old version of Wine are still quite used because of package
managers just
offers "stable" Wine versions over the "unstable" ones so I would like
to see another
popup or warning in winecfg that informs user that their Wine is
getting old...
so after specific number of days(from release of Wine version X)
counter gives some
warnings about old Wine version.