Making people aware about appdb and outdated Wine versions.

Nick Law nlaw at nildram.co.uk
Sun Sep 10 18:01:10 CDT 2006

killertux killertux wrote:
> Hello, I have problem...
>
> It's know as dublication of effort. Basicly there are sites that
> "compeate" with appdb it
> means HOWTOS, test result and everyting else are distributed in few
> thousands forums, wikis etc...
>
> Solution is that Wine should advertice Wine AppDB so people would
> actully use it rather than
> unoffical sites. So I would like to see some AppDB "adverticement" in
> winecfg.
>
> Winecfg about section is one good place to inform wonders of appdb but
> even better would
> be popup window when starting winecfg(at lest in first run) that
> informs about appdb.
> Normal users obtain copy of Wine trought their package manager and
> that means they
> do not know about appdb unless they they read it somewhere.
>
> This change must be done in order to kill useless stuff like this:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-496836.html
>
> Second: Old version of Wine are still quite used because of package
> managers just
> offers "stable" Wine versions over the "unstable" ones so I would like
> to see another
> popup or warning in winecfg that informs user that their Wine is
> getting old...
> so after specific number of days(from release of Wine version X)
> counter gives some
> warnings about old Wine version.

I agree with your comments above however in addition having read the
Gentoo thread you mention, I also see what the first comment is getting
at. That it's very time consuming to find which apps have Platium or
Gold Status with looking at every page & version in the AppDB. The APPDB
is really lacking a STATS page. i.e. A page that shows the number of
apps that have results reported where maybe 80% results are Platinum or
gold etc and the ability to see what apps are classied as Platinum or
Gold with drawling through thousands of appdb pages to find the Gold
Apps. The Stats page should be fully automated requiring nobody to
update it,  the system just calculates the stats from the user entered
results at the results.

The Stats Page should include information like ...

1. Number of Applications.
2. Number of Applications with 100% of results reporting platinum
status. Click here to see the > [LIST]
3. Number of Applications with >50% of results reporting platinum
status. Click here to see the > [LIST]
4. Number of Applications with 100% of results reporting gold status.
Click here to see the > [LIST]
5. Number of Applications with >50% of results reporting gold status.
Click here to see the > [LIST]
6. Number of Applications with 100% of results reporting Bronze status.
Click here to see the > [LIST]
7. Number of Applications with >50% of results reporting Bronze status.
Click here to see the > [LIST]
8. Number of Applications with 100% of results reporting garbage status.
Click here to see the > [LIST]
9. Number of Applications with >50% of results reporting garbage status.
Click here to see the > [LIST]
10. Number of apps with no results.
11. Which Distros are used the most > Click here to see the graph > [GRAPH]
12. List Apps that are the most active as determined from the number of
comments. Click here to see the [LIST]
etc

You could even have the percentage selectable rather than just 50% or 100%.

A further page with graphs showing trends would also be useful. You
could instantly then see more and more APPS getting Gold or Platinum
status over time ( or not )

the [LIST] should be the Application Name and you should be able to
click on it to take you straight to the page..

:-) Sounds like a neat little project for somebody into PHP & Mysql

Regards
Nick Law
WoW AppDB  SM