State management in D3D

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg231 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 19:48:25 CDT 2006

I guess that seems like a large undertaking, and those are all doomed to
failure.. but it doesn't have to be.

The key idea that I care about seems to be to move GL code from device.c
into the data structure object, and figure out a way to apply a set of
delayed states at draw time. We don't have to replace everything right
now - we could have 2 coexisting data structures and slowly move things
from one to the other, but I wanted to see if people agree with that idea.

I don't like the way things are done right now - Set* functions can do
one of two things - record to a stateblock, or apply state. Then the
stateblock calls the Set* functions itself when it's applied - seems
very ugly to me [ and also in certain places we're forced to disable
recording to get a state applied immediately using a Set* function ].