Low-level coding

Damjan Jovanovic dj015 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 03:00:19 CDT 2006

--- Aaron Slunt <tonglebeak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was interested in starting to play with wine and
> maybe even build a few
> functions for it...but then I realized that it's
> low-level coding, something
> I'm not familiar with (higher level is more of my
> expertise). Correct me if
> I'm wrong, I could be looking at the wrong files :S.

Look at a few of the main DLLs (eg. kernel), the
loader and wineserver code is complex. COM DLLs (eg.
directx) are undecipherable unless you know COM.

> Does anyone  have any
> good places to go to to learn about low-level
> coding, and afterwards coding
> for wine specifically?

There's some useful coding hints for wine at
www.wine-wiki.org. The developer's cheatsheet, and the
wine dev guide are also helpful.

You learn the most by doing it :-).

> Thanks.