Bug #4510: allowing -ansi for arpa/nameser.h in configure.ac

Joel Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Mon Sep 11 07:31:30 CDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 10:43 +0200, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Joel Parker <jjk3 at msstate.edu> writes:
>
> > This patch fixes bug #4510. It allows the use of -ansi when
> > running ./configure.
>
> I'm not sure I see the point, you'd need to fix all the places that
> use the file too, otherwise it won't compile, and it's not clear that
> defining BSD_SOURCE all over the place is a good idea. I'd suggest to
> fix the header instead.

Well, this was intended as an incremental step in that direction.

As for defining _BSD_SOURCE, if I read the glibc documentation
correctly, this is exactly what is intended:

"If you compile your programs using gcc -ansi, you get only the ISO C
library features, unless you explicitly request additional features by
defining one or more of the feature macros. [...] You should define
these macros by using #define preprocessor directives at the top of your
source code files."

>From http://tinyurl.com/g9284

Please let me know if there's something else I can do.

--
Joel Parker