Already Error while installing MS Office 2003

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 02:47:27 CDT 2006

On 9/15/06, Roland Kaeser <roli8200 at yahoo.de> wrote:

> Hello
>

> >Codeweavers version of Wine has changes that Alexandre deems
> >unacceptable for the "clean" WineHQ tree.
>
> If this is that way, it would be real a horror. Why are code patches which
> allows a huge major app (key application) to run on linux "unacceptable"
> (From point of view of the MS users). Do we here make trench warfares?  Or
> are there quality conceivabilities which are completely unrealistic?
> Shouldn't we not see the major goal of wine? To run windows apps on linux?
> Not to have a few lines code a bit better quality etc. I think we don't have
> the choice to reject code. Be very very thankful for each line which is
> checked in!! I think some responsible persons are to deep in the code.  They
> are looking just into the code but can't see the benefit of the code for the
> wine project itself. Why don't just accept the code? There is enough time
> later to make it more "beautiful" or correct it to a better quality. But for
> the moment, some of the code directly allows important apps to work.

Are you a software developer of any kind?  This is a professional open
source product, and we only allow the cleanest code in our tree.  Wine
is one of the most impressive pieces of software I've ever had the
chance to work on.  I, and all the other developers of Wine, do not
want hacks in the code base, and am very thankful they are not
allowed.  If someone really wants an application to work, they can
spend time and effort on writing proper fixes for the Wine tree, as we
all do.

--
James Hawkins