How to report code errors?

Jan Zerebecki jan.wine at zerebecki.de
Sat Sep 16 12:30:01 CDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 04:41:04PM +0100, Andrew Talbot wrote:
> How should one report minor code errors that don't necessarily produce known
> bad behaviour?

> Bugzilla seems inappropriate, so does wine-devel. If Coverity has abandoned
> us, would it be worth having a web/wiki page for posting any such code
> anomalies, so that the knowledgable might consider fixing them?

Sending a proper patch to wine-patches seems to be the best way
to solve this. Most of the time it's faster to fix those little
bugs than to report them.

For questions about how to fix the problem -devel (or
#winehackers on freenode irc) seems to be the appropriate place.

If you are for whatever reason not willing to come up with a fix,
then I think a bugreport is appropriate if it is one specific
code error (if no one is interested in fixing this a message to
-devel will be forgotten). For generic things that occur all over
the code we have http://wiki.winehq.org/JanitorialProjects .

However to catch generic bugs it might be also good to extend our
smatch scripts (see http://wiki.winehq.org/TodoList about smatch)
to detect them (so we don't depend on Coverity for such stuff).

Jan