Wine 0.9.21 fails to run

Nick Law nlaw at nildram.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 14:59:21 CDT 2006

Ken Zalewski wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> Thanks for the advice and patches.  However, Wine still fails to run
> ANY programs at all.  This is with both of the patches applied (the
> "ATI" patch and the "NVidia" patch).
>
> Moving back to 0.9.20 makes everything work again.
>
> My OpenGL library is from NVidia driver 8774 (the most recent), and
> x11 is 6.8.2.
>
> If there is anything you would like me to provide in order to diagnose
> this, let me know.
>
> Thanks.           -kz
>

> Nick Law wrote:
>> Ken Zalewski wrote:
>>> I just upgraded from 0.9.20 to 0.9.21, and now nothing will run,
>>> including simple programs such as sol.exe and notepad.exe.
>>>
>>> The error message I'm receiving is:
>>>
>>> X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>>>  Major opcode of failed request:  145 (NV-GLX)
>>>  Minor opcode of failed request:  4 ()
>>>  Resource id in failed request:  0x242
>>>  Serial number of failed request:  19
>>>  Current serial number in output stream:  19
>>>

>>> My system is a Slackware 10.2 system, running kernel 2.6.17.13, x11
>>> 6.8.2, and NVidia driver 8774.
>>>
>>> I have seen some other postings on the Net about this, including
>>> postings in the Ubuntu forums (which means that this is not limited
>>> to Slackware).
>>>
>>> Downgrading to 0.9.20 gets everything working again.  My guess,
>>> based on the "NV-GLX" message, is that something was changed in the
>>> OpenGL support between 0.9.20 and 0.9.21, and it has broken Wine.
>>>
>>> I'll be happy to help debug this.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Ken Zalewski
>>> Slackware package maintainer
>>> Linuxpackages.net
>>>

>> That's correct, on the wow 1.12 AppDB page in the latest news section
>> you'll find two patches, the patch marked ATI ( or FBconfigregression
>> ) will fix the opengl & D3D problems.
>>
>> You can download and apply both irrespective of what graphics card
>> you have.
>>
>> Regards
>> Nick Law

Can you list all the programs that you have executed that failed and
also any that work, like winecfg ..

Regarding notepad.exe, that fails on my system (0.9.21) with a
segmentation fault.

Start the programs from a terminal ( i.e. wine notepad.exe ) etc and
tell us what the errors are ?
Do this for each program as the errors may be different.

Thanks
Nick