EnumServicesStatusA - Typical return structure contents with a working internet LAN connection

Nick Law nick.law at mic-nucmed.co.uk
Wed Sep 20 07:26:34 CDT 2006

I'm trying to get an application running that accesses the Internet, but
fails with the message, no Internet connection present.

The internet connection is fine, as proved by the fact I can run firefox
& wow under wine.

I've disassembled the applications exe and examined wine's fixme errors
when the application runs and it seems to do the following....

It calls InternetGetConnectedState to determine whether there is a modem
or LAN connection. Wine returns the fact there is a LAN connection.

It then calls EnumServicesStatusA with a type=30 & state=1, in order to
get a list of running services, now what I think it's doing is expecting
to see a service that provides the internet connection, because wine
doesn't actually return a list of services the application then decides
there's no internet connection.

What I want to do is provide a return structure that does at least
contain the service name & state (internet related) that the application
is expecting to see.

Does anybody know what service that could be, (specifically it's actual
name) or even better provide a typical return structure that is returned
by windows when a application calls EnumServicesStatusA so I can
construct the structure this app is expecting to see.

I've never written anything under MS windows otherwise I would write a
small application myself that calls EnumServicesStatus & figure it out
myself. In fact maybe I will have to get myself a copy of visual C++ so
I can do these tests.

Regards
Nick Law

PS I'm new to this debugging without access to the applications source
code, so any hints & tricks would be appreciated.

It looks like I may have to learn Intels assembler instruction set as
well!, which I don't mind. The last time I wrote an assembly language
program was 25 years ago on a PerkinElmer 3220 mini computer! So this
should be fun.