Governance revisited

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Mon Sep 25 09:40:56 CDT 2006

"Troy Rollo" <wine at troy.rollo.name> wrote:

> If I say I've been coding since I was 14 (in those days home computers had
> less than 1% penetration in Australia), in assembly language since shortly
> after that and raw machine code not long after, having memorised the
> instruction set, then was widely recognised as the most capable Comp Sci
> student at the top university for Computer Science in the state, and that I
> only employ people who are proven geniuses, would it make a difference?

Very nice picture of a man with overestimated personal evaluation.

[skipped]

>> This is
>> even more difficult when you have to guess Alexandre's ideas about how
>> you should properly solve the problem :)
>
> Actually, this is probably 90%+ of the problem. If patch submission weren't a
> black hole in which it either gets through or you have to go begging for
> feedback like an errant schoolboy, you wouldn't see nearly the volume of
> complaints you do.
>
> Worse are the times when you spend considerable time reworking a patch to his
> specifications and he still won't let it in. One of my staff had this
> problem, and the answer from Alexandre was that he wasn't going to let
> *anything* in covering that area no matter how it was implemented until it
> had been proven in the field (effectively forcing a branch). That's pretty
> soul-destroying stuff. That staff member resigned a short time later, and
> while he gave other reasons his frustration with dealing with Alexandre had
> been showing, and his whole job revolved around improving Wine.

How many projects have you ever participated in? Every developers' mailing list
of an open source I personally participated in *doesn't guarantee* not only patch
acceptance, but even a reply with explanations why the patch has been silently
dropped, and it doesn't matter how many maintainers a project has. Why do you
request that from Wine, and particularly from Alexandre?

Alexandre is not a robot, he is a human. Please take that into account.

It's a metter of the fact, that if you can't cope with other people's requirements,
you can't work in a team.

--
Dmitry.