Problem with NtReadVirtualMemory and wine server connection

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 13:47:24 CDT 2006

Hi Peter, I'm guessing the fact that no one has replied means that no one
has a strong opinion, or no one feels qualified to answer, or that AJ
would prefer to see a patch first.  I'll give my opinion in the hope of
stimulating discussion, as I think it's important.

> 1. allocate a temporary buffer in NtReadVirtualMemory, read server
> answer to this buffer, and then inside a try / catch block copy to
> application memory

This would be my preference, for two reasons:
1. This would allow the test to pass, that is, we could successfully
   return STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION in this case.
2. The server protocol appears to be robust enough, as it crashes the
   client, not the server.  The problem is mapping the fault to an
   NTSTATUS, and recovering from it.

The disadvantage may be that each server request would have to be checked
whether it could fail in the same way.  Any other opinions?
--Juan