How hard is Uniscribe's ScriptLayout() to implement?

Hans Leidekker hans at it.vu.nl
Wed Sep 27 13:53:25 CDT 2006

> usp10.ScriptLayout() isn't implemented.
> How hard would it be to fix this?

As long as you don't use RTL scripts (such as Arabic, Farsi, Hebrew)
a stub like the one I attached to the bug should do the job nicely. This
goes for most of uniscribe.

A full implementation that handles RTL scripts and mixtures of RTL and
LTR scripts needs a lot of work, though we may be able to leverage libicu
or the recently announced initiative to create an open source, uniscribe
compatible library.

We could implement it all by ourselves too of course. Ingredients would
include at least an implementation of the BIDI algorithm as well as access
to more properties from the unicode character database, possibly through
libwine.

 -Hans