Patchwork (was Re: Governance revisited)

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Wed Sep 27 14:49:03 CDT 2006

Ge van Geldorp wrote:

> It would make sure the author always receives some kind of feedback (either
> from the bot, other developers or yourself) and would make sure patches
> don't get lost (patches are automatically entered into the system and only
> leave the system when the author withdraws them or when you make a final
> decision).

Seems like that is a system that doesn't scale well at all, as it
requires Alexandre to specifically respond to each and every patch.

It also seems like it encourages patch submitters to not polish their
patches themselves and just submit a higher volume of low quality
patches for Alexandre to review, since the onus will then be on him to
respond.

The current system, which leaves the responsibility for the patch with
the submitter both scales better, and encourages patch submitters to
think about their patches more.

Responding to each and every patch seems like it would be a waste of
Alexandre's time.  We should encourage more people to participate in the
patch review process, so that we have more reviewers and a more scalable
process.

btw. Is there any reason that you can't request a review of your
patches, or report the problem that you're trying to fix in bugzilla, as
I suggested elsewhere?

Mike