Appdb as application regression finder

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 17:05:18 CDT 2006

On 9/27/06, Tom Spear <speeddymon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/27/06, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We've run into this before with the Warhammer 40k installer.  When we
> > find that the downloadable trial version works, but the cd installer
> > doesn't, we take off the download keyword.  Adding more than one type
> > of download keyword will add too much noise with absolutely no
> > benefit.
> >
> > --
> > James Hawkins
> >

> Arguably, I can understand that a cd installer wouldnt fall under the
> download category, nor would a bug in the retail version of the game, so
> removing the download keyword would do fine, but what if there are 2
> different free versions of a program (ie. zonealarm has a free version and a
> trial pro version, same for ad-aware).  If you have a trial a freeware
> keyword, then it would be easier to tell which version is being referenced,
> and therefore easier (and faster) to diagnose and fix the bug.

The answer is in your reply.   The difference between the two is in
the versions.  One is a free version, the other is the trial of a pro
version.  There's a difference, and from our point of view, they
should be considered as two different applications, so a bug report
would just say which version it is, e.g., "ZoneAlarm free version
fails to install" and "ZoneAlarm Pro Trial fails to install".

--
James Hawkins