Patchwork (was Re: Governance revisited)

Ge van Geldorp ge at gse.nl
Thu Sep 28 07:54:49 CDT 2006

> From: Jakob Eriksson [mailto:jakob at vmlinux.org]
>
> I have been watching this thread with keen interest.
>
> Alexandre does not HAVE to respond to that patch, he can
> silently ignore it just like he can now.
>
> The only difference with Patchwork would be that after a
> certain time with no comments and no commits, the patch would
> be removed from the queue and the submitter would get an
> email warning.

Actually, that's not how I intended things to work. The automatic removal
from the queue would only happen if the patch had a RFC status, i.e. if
action is expected from the patch submitter. If the patch is unopposed and
just waiting in the queue, it should stay there.
It's reasonable to tell a submitter "you seem to have lost interest in this
patch, it has been waiting on action from you for [a month, whatever] but
nothing has happened, therefore it will be removed from the queue". Sending
a warning message "your patch is going to be dropped without explanation" is
no improvement over the current situation.

Gé van Geldorp.