Governance Ideas

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Fri Sep 29 04:02:08 CDT 2006

Robert Lunnon wrote:

> "Community Focused Process" means what it says, develop a process which is
> centred on the community the project serves. This requires the project to
> answer some introspective questions
>
> 1. Who "owns"  Wine, does wine belong to A.)  Alexandre, or B) the community
> it serves.

A) Alexandre is a benelovent dictator.  He manages Wine with the
interests of "the community" in mind, as he sees them.

> 1. Answer the questions about the "ownership" of wine and identify the
> community it serves. Determine the right of the community to be involved is
> setting wines direction IE The Bill of rights I mentioned before (for each
> community Developers VS Users etc).

Your "bill of rights" is the Wine license, the LGPL.

> 2. Alexandre documents the exact logic he uses to determine patch
> acceptability which becomes the patch acceptance policy in the interim.

It's very likely impossible to write that down.  If you don't agree with
me, please write down your proposal.

> 3. The project develops a community process for establishing project direction
> and maintaining the patch acceptance policy which includes stakeholders
> elected from the "owners" IE communities with a stakeholding in wine

NetBSD is a project that is (was?) run by committees:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2006/08/30/0016.html

If you want Wine to be run by a committee, how about creating your own
fork so you can run it as you see fit?

Mike