Is Wine a platform for Codeweaver to make money?! Please help me understand.

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sun Apr 8 06:08:24 CDT 2007

> Maybe bug reports could be automated in such a way that all fixme's and
> err's are stored in a file, and that file gets sent to Wine's bugzilla in
> intervals. Then it is automatically analysed and split up by DLL. That
> would make it the task of the developers to force Wine to spit out errors
> with every little thing that could go wrong. But if that would be done
> right, every error would be reported.
>
> Of course there would have to be a popup asking if the bug report may be
> sent.
I do not think that this will work technically.

An ERR is always worth a bug report. An ERR should always indicate that
something went wrong in the Wine Library itself that should never ever go
wrong, and all known conditions that could lead to that ERR have been taken
care for. Examples beeing a corrupt list, or a hashmap with elements
somewhere where they do not belong, etc.

However, very few bugs have a specific ERR or FIXME which can be blamed for
the breakage. Most bugs are because of failure conditions that the developers
did NOT consider, thus how can they write a debugging output if they don't
see anything going wrong?

Obviously the answer for finding unknown bugs is to write test cases, test
cases, test cases.